Sunday, November 08, 2009

Surprise

Hi there,

It's me again, after a heck of a time. I'm still here and thought I'd better sign on once again.

It's been a pretty hectic year creatively, with lots of projects finally realizing fruition. A quick outline:

* An Infinity Room (A.I.R.)
I finally introduced my own ensemble, An Infinity Room. Named after a series of paintings by Rachael Freeman and of course the famous dot works of Kusama. This is, of all things, an electric organ/synthesizer ensemble. I spent a month trawling the countryside for odd, misshapen keyboards. I then exhibited them for a week at Canberra Contemporary Art Space and have performed with them as a group a couple of times hence. Big plans to tour the UK at some point next year.

* Super Critical Mass
The BIG project, for 100 performers all playing the same type of instrument. We of course launched this at CarriageWorks last year and have now presented it in a new way at the Brisbane Festival as part of the Under The Radar series. A week of flutes appearing in all sorts of nooks and crannies such as shopping centre escalators, open air malls and train stations. A new work of mine for around 20 flutes. Plans again to take this project to the UK, as well as other cities in Australia like Melbourne and Canberra.

* Loud And Soft
Finally, a label! Formed with my oldest working colleague Luke Jaaniste. We've yet to release anything but be patient .. it's designed to focus on works with simple architectural premises yet lush sound results. Stay tuned.

* Stammer
More from this long-standing project, again with Luke. In this instance, subjecting a number of turntables to the same LPs with blocking factors such as piles of coins, creating unusual loop-based works.

More to come ...

J

No comments: